Thursday, September 11, 2008

WINTER CLASSES

Hello! I am excited for the 2009 winter season ahead of me in Mazatlan. Here are the classes/events to be held this winter:


Embrace the Artist Within Retreat - On Tuesday, November 25th, I will be facilitating a class to paint silk scarves as a part of this retreat coordinated by local yoga teacher, Maureen Geraghty. Check the blogsite http://www.mazworkshops.blogspot.com/ for more information on this half-week of fun and creative sessions.


Old Mazatlan Art Walk - On the first Friday of each month, you are invited to take a self guided tour through galleries located in the historic district. I will be participating December-April. Please stop by and see what new and interesting things I’ve been working on!

Basic Fabric Dyeing - This one day class will allow you to experience dyeing cotton with Procion dyes. We will work with color theory, explore different techniques, and even try some painting and stamping. All materials are provided. $750 pesos/$75 US. 9AM-3PM. Three students maximum. December 9th, January 6th, February 10th, March 10th.


“Make A Scene” - (That’s what some of us were taught NOT to do… “for goodness sake, DON’T make a scene!“) Call it fabric collage or photos on fabric (but NOT using photocopy machines or transfer papers), this 3 day class will center on replicating a scene or photo or picture of your choice with fiber. Focus will be on design, custom dyeing your fabrics, and constructing a piece that you will then take home to finish with your sewing machine or by hand. Basic fabric dyeing class or proven experience is required. All materials provided. $2000 pesos/$200 US. 9AM - 3PM. Three students maximum. December 10,11,12, January 7,8,9, February 11,12,13, March 11,12,13.

Tie Dye Magic - I’ve had many requests to teach plain and simple tie-dye, so here’s your chance to have some fun with this magical craft. You provide the items to dye: tee-shirts, baby clothes, a favorite stained shirt, underwear, socks, etc. etc. I’ll provide the instructions and dyes. $350 pesos/$35 US. 10 AM-3PM. Four students maximum. January 13th, February 17th, March 7th.
Free Motion Quilting - For those of you with a sewing machine, join me for a full day of instruction and practice on drawing with your needle. This is one of my favorite parts of the work I do and I feel I have much to share. 10AM-3PM. $350 pesos/$35 US. Five students maximum. Sewing machine with feed dogs that drop or can be covered is required. January 20th, March 24th.

Open Studio Time - I offer open studio time to students who have taken my basic dyeing class for independent work on their own projects. 9AM-3PM. $150 pesos/$15 US. Two students per day by reservation. December 17th , 18th January 14th, 15th, 21st, 22nd, February 18th, 19th, March 18th, 19th, 25th, 26th.

Last but not least: Trip to Oaxaca (????) - I’ve always heard this is an area in Mexico known for its textiles. Is anyone interested in a fiber focused trip? Contact me to continue the discussion. Tentative dates: February 22-27.

I hope to see you this winter !

No comments: