Monday, June 16, 2008

COME TO MAZATLAN!


Just talked to good friends Mo and Sharon today...all the way from Mazatlan. It brought back warm feelings of my friends, neighbors, home, favorite haunts, the incredible beauty of those ocean sunsets, and of course, my fiber life there.
Since 2002, Tom and I have been spending significant time each winter in Mazatlan. Building our home in 2005 was a dream come true! And of course I was sure to include a good size fiber art/dye studio in the plans. Now our home has evolved into a mini-gallery where I can show my wares during the First Friday Artwalks held during winter months, and a space for classes in dyeing, quilting and other areas in the fiber arts realm. I have met a wealth of wonderful folks through these events.
Another project I'm involved with is volunteering with a group of Mexican women who sew for a living. They use donated fabric and sell their variety of items to tourists at local venues, golf tourneys, at hotels or at the cruise ship terminal, etc. Their skills are very good and the livelihood they provide for themselves with these sales makes a significant difference in their lives and the lives of their families. I am honored to be a part of this group.
Mazatlan is a coastal city with charm! The historical district where my home/studio is located, has beautiful old buildings, quaint streets, friendly people, good food, lovely beaches, exquisite vistas, and on and on. Plaza Machado is centrally located and a seat of culture with the Angela Peralta Theater and the Arts School right there. Chatting on a park bench, dining at one of the local restaurants, or just strolling around the plaza midst the activity of the night (or day) leaves one with a warm feeling of the area.
Many activities are available in Mazatlan. Walking along the miles of beachfront sidewalks is a great way to get some exercise, enjoy the ocean views, and see this part of the city. Yoga classes welcome all to experience the wonderful benefits of this practice. Hiking to the lighthouse, picking up a good book at the gringo library, or taking a Spanish class are also ways to enjoy your time in Mazatlan. And nearby Stone Island has pristine beaches that will capture your soul.
For individuals with artistic interests, there are opportunities to explore your creative side. I have workshops in a variety of fiber arts areas in my studio, and other artists also offer classes throughout town.
Come to Mazatlan for a great vacation or for a wonderful place to spend the winter. And don't let me forget to add that IT'S WARM!

No comments: