Thursday, April 16, 2009

THE JOY OF JOURNALING

Throughout this winter I have blogged off and on about different quilt journal pieces I have completed. These once a month 8.5"x11" assignments from fellow journalers are usually one of the last items to be completed on my "to-do" list, so when the end of March arrived, my classes ended and projects slowed considerably, I finally got around to the two assigned themes - "song title" and "in silhouette".
And so, for my March journal piece....I went through song titles on the web and settled on the obvious...Margaritaville! And because two themes came through at once, I thought I'd maybe kill two birds with one stone, or at least try my hand at silhouette work. After I got started and had quite a bit put together, I decided I DID NOT like it, BUT, because I give myself a 3 hour limit on journal pieces, just went ahead anyway and finished. And now, I have to say I'm okay with the end result.
On to April for the real sihouette piece. The silhouette idea was a bit of a challenge for me as I've never thought of doing one before and had to get some inspiration from google images. (www.kamaladolphinkingsley.com was where I eventually landed.) I wanted to try using my thickened black dye (which came out gray) alongside some discharging, so that's what I did. I put the dye into one of my fine tipped bottles and filled within the stitching lines I created and was pretty happy with how that turned out. Whether or not the silhouette effect is achieved, I now have another technique/tool to add to my repertoire.
I am now up to ten pieces in MY journal and I continue to receive 7 other beauties (truly! - each fabulous and unique!) each month on the internet. This group and monthly ritual has become a true joy in my fiber filled life.
And now to May..."signs of spring". Shall I do Mexican spring or BC spring?

No comments: