Thursday, October 16, 2008

PAMELA ALLEN WORKSHOP

I had the great fortune to take a workshop from this amazing art quilter, Pamela Allen, a few weekends ago. That's probably the reason I haven't been on my blog lately. I was so inspired by her work, that all I have wanted to do is sew and compose.

Pamela, from Kingston, Ontario, pushed us right into mini fiber art compositions that fell into line with the title of the class: "Still Life Boring?- NOT!"

So here is what I learned/absorbed, etc.: (accompanied by student/Pamela's work)

1. Composition is SO important!

2. Color and value are vital!

3. Don't worry so much about being realistic or including an entire object...our brains know how to fill in the blanks.

4. Embroidery stitches can really accent objects/spaces.

5. The sky is the limit for embellishments.

6. Look for ideas within the fabric.

7. Expand your repetoire of free motion stitches.

8. Make it personal....tell your story!
This was a fabulous workshop that pushed me into new realms. Thank you Pamela!
(Check out her great website!)


No comments: