Thursday, October 16, 2008

OCTOBER JOURNAL QUILT


This month's theme was "rock and roll", and I struggled with what and how to fit something in an 8.5x11" space. I initially put together a piece showing the old yellow radio I listened to every night as a young girl, perfectly tuned to KJR channel 95 out of Seattle. Then someone told me my radio looked like a camping trailer, so I decided to make a change to something a bit simpler and more straight forward.
Nights in White Satin” by the Moody Blues was THE slow song for dancing during my era of teen-age-hood in Tacoma, Washington. Long, slow, romantic.
I’ve been doing lots of discharge dyeing lately and wanted to see if I could put together a closed shape for discharging within this theme. Simple, yes, but it was a successful challenge for me that I will try again sometime. And of course it was a great way to use up my little blue scraps.
As Barb suggested, it’s like having your name in lights.

No comments: