Wednesday, November 21, 2012

SOUTHBOUND SOJOURN (PART 1)


Tomorrow we hit the road for our annual trek (this year by car) to our winter home in Mexico. We’ll arrive in about a week after passing through northern California, Nevada, and Arizona before hitting the border. In another fifteen hours in our little, overloaded car, we’ll arrive in Mazatlan.

My husband does most of the driving so I’m left to twiddle my thumbs and witness the scenes and scenery that we pass. Since I don’t “twiddle” very well, I’ve been thinking about what I can do to fill the time.

 Journal quilting, of course!

 Last week a bird on a road sign caught my attention, so I am going to TRY!!!! to put together a daily “bird on a sign” to document the journey. I’ve prepared a dozen background “sandwiches”, gathered a bag of scraps, and assembled all the necessary threads and needles in my sewing basket.  If I can just get a sign shape and bird on each cloth, then I can finish with stitching and bleaching when I land. My fingers are crossed with hopes that I can pull this off. After all, I call myself a “gypsy quilter” so I figure it’s about time to put my money where my mouth is.

My first piece reflects our transition home here in Jacksonville, Oregon. It’s within a beautiful landscape within the Rogue River valley, dotted with pear orchards and vineyards, and gorgeous colors this time of the year. I tried to choose colors that reflect the autumn scene.

Stay tuned to see the outcome of this little project.

No comments: