Friday, June 25, 2010

SPROUTING SEEDS

sprouting seed 001
Seed and plant images are often times associated with the promise of growth, life and new beginnings. This sprouting seed image, taken from a Cretan seal over 4,000 years old, certainly indicates new growth and beginnings for me. Now back at Refuge Cove for two weeks, I am daily reminded of summer's new life. The weeds have abundantly taken over my garden, and slowly I remove them and give them their own new life in my burn pit. My old crooked and toppling fence that protects my garden from deer has just been taken out and is being replaced with a new, straight and secure fencing system. My boxes are full of small lettuce plants, waiting to be thinned and cared for. Old friends are being reunited after a long winter, for another summer of activity. The potlucks are starting and for once the wild salmon are seeming to be standard fare. Perhaps this is a positive sign!
I hustled and hurried to get my summer sewing work completed while in Mexico. I knew my spring would be swallowed up with waiting for Canadian immigration to do it's thing (our issues aren't over yet). But now, for the first time, I am free and able to pursue my OWN work, without the thought of production or sales or inventory or the like. So, off to try something NEW...
Colour: A Workshop for Artists and Designers by David Hornung has been sitting on my shelf for a year now, waiting for a moment such as now to get into it and see what evolves. I was attracted to this book initially because it was referenced in Nancy Crow's website, and I certainly love her color work. So assignment one titled Chromatic Gray Studies, set me off to dyeing a set of monochromatic swatches, all with a heavy dose of black to hopefully move them towards the gray side. Perhaps there's not as much gray as I'd like, but I'm more than happy with the results and know I'm going to have lots of fun with these.
june 2010 058
For now, slowly getting into my summer pace of gardening and creating and renewing friendships, I feel a bit like the sprouting seed. With trust and patience, I know my harvest will be abundant.

No comments: